- Usual dose: 250 mg 8 hrly.
- Bronchitis & pneumonia: 250 mg tid.
- Sinusitis: 500 mg tid for 10 days.
- Pneumonia & other more severe infections: Max: 4 gm/day for 28 days.
- Acute gonococcal urethritis: 3 gm as a single dose combined with probenecid 1 gm.
- Recommended dose: 20 mg/kg/day in divided doses 8 hrly.
- Bronchitis & pneumonia: 20 mg/kg/day in divided doses tid.
- Serious infections, sinusitis, otitis media & infections: caused by less susceptible organisms 40 mg/kg/day in divided doses. Max: 1 gm/day.
Gastro-intestinal: Diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting have been reported. Hypersensitivity: Allergic reactions such as eruptions, pruritis and urticaria have been observed. These reactions usually subside upon discontinuation of therapy. Serum sickness like reactions have been reported.
Haematological: Eosinophilia, thrombocytopenia, transient lymphocytosis and leucopenia may occur rarely. Hepatic: Transient hepatitis and cholestatic jaundice, slight elevation in AST, ALT or alkaline phosphate values have been reported rarely.
Renal: Reversible interstitial nephritis has occurred rarely, also slight elevations in blood urea or serum creatinine or abnormal urinalysis.
Central Nervous System: Reversible hyperactivity, nervousness, confusion, hypertonia, dizziness, hallucinations and somnolence have been reported rarely.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Symptoms: Nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress and diarrhoea would be anticipated.
Treatment: Unless 5 times the normal total daily dose has been ingested, gastrointestinal decontamination will not be necessary. General management may consist of supportive therapy.